CBLOOM.COM real time 3d : galaxy3
Back to main 3d page
- galaxy4 (as it's name implies) is newer
- Galaxy3 is my test bed for various fun 3d stuff. In the new version 0.3 I've added
a nice little toroidal spatial index, a 2d triangulator and convex decomposition and convex
hull tree set, an interesting nice way of doing IK, some nifty spline stuff, and maybe some
more goodies I'm forgetting.
- Galaxy3 reads arbitrary meshes, generates a unique-full-surface-uv-mapping,
generates an object-space normal map, and then does VIPM.
The result is a very good looking, very low-poly mesh.
- Download Galaxy3 with source : 1.35 MB zip
version 0.1, November 17, 2002
version 0.2, December 05, 2002
version 0.3, April 18, 2003
version 0.3.1, April 3, 2004
Galaxy3 needs STL port . You must also fix the preprocessor
options to point at the directory where you install your STL-port. I currently use
STL port 4.5.3 , but other versions
may work fine as well.
August 10, 2004 - added LSS-Triangle test; now requires VC7 (.NET) !
March 27, 2004 - added some cool Prefs and Reflection stuff. This will be the last release for VC6 and DX8.
In the future I'll be working with VC7 (.NET) and DX9.
April 3, 2004 - I lied. A little bit more in the old model; fix some things and add a diffuse+fresnel cubemap viewer.
- Download horse demo content : 1.7 MB zip
Unzip this to the same dir as the galaxy3.exe and run horse.bat ; all the content was generated by Galaxy3 in less than a
minute. The demo shows an infinite field of horses doing PM and lit by cubemap lookup with Fresnel specular.
Galaxy3 is provided under the BPL . eg. all
non-commerical use is free; commerical use is by "credit-ware". If in doubt, contact me.
Write-ups and tutorials to come some day. As usual, there's lots of little
good stuff hidden away in all that code. If you have fixes or additions,
send them to me.
- A high res picture of a fresnel-cubemap-lit mesh, original mesh is about 200k polys, source data
from the CG production department of Oddworld Inhabitants -
Big Bro Slig
- A page of screenshots of cubemap-lit models all
auto-uv-mapped and simplified
- Fan-disk at low and full LOD :
- A page of screenshots of the horse with normal-maps
and what not
Charles Bloom / cb at my domain
Send Me Email
Back to the Index
The free web counter says you are visitor number